08 Jun How To Get Rid Of Redness: Treatments For Rosacea
A lesser talked about, but incredibly common health woe, rosacea affects 1 in 10 of us. Far from just looking like redness on the skin, rosacea can be a killer for self-confidence. Here we delve into what rosacea really means for your body and how we can treat it at TLC.
What is rosacea?
Rosacea is a chronic but treatable condition that most commonly affects the face area but can also show up on the neck, arms, and chest. The first signs of it can include redness – either blanket redness across the skin or little patches and blotches – and flushing. The skin might look blushed or like it has sunburn that won’t go away.
Areas of the face that usually suffer are the cheeks, nose, chin, and forehead – which makes rosacea super uncomfortable for anyone experiencing it. The skin on our face is very delicate, so with the added trickiness of rosacea thrown into the mix, it can become quite tender.
Other rosacea symptoms include skin thickening, bumps and pimples, visible blood vessels, eye irritation, and stinging skin.
When can rosacea start & how does it feel?
Most cases develop after the age of 30 but we have seen younger patients with rosacea – especially if the condition is hereditary.
Sadly, rosacea comes with a mental impact for many of its sufferers. And as it is hard to hide or cover-up, it can become distressing if you have an upcoming event. According to the National Rosacea Society, 90% of rosacea patients said their self-esteem was lowered and 41% said they avoided social situations because of it – which is huge!
How can rosacea be treated?
Luckily, we offer several solutions to treat rosacea at The Lovely Clinic. While there’s no decided cause and no known cure, we can manage rosacea symptoms effectively with topical treatments that are deep-reaching within the skin.
With rosacea, the skin barrier is disturbed so we use products that are directly targeted at treating and alleviating symptoms. Our non-prescription and prescription treatments include:
- Calm-R by Alumier MD: A soothing serum that targets redness and blemishes while maintaining the skin’s delicate moisture balance. Redness is relieved due to Piperonyl glucose and sea whip. The formula is suitable for even the most sensitive skin types.
- SensiCalm by Alumier MD: A gentle and soothing creamy cleanser. Yucca root extract is packed with ceramides while vitamin E and sunflower seed moisturise. This really helps to soothe the skin and calm redness.
- HydraCalm by Alumier MD: A rich moisturising cream loaded with antioxidants and calming ingredients to soothe redness (sea whip, boswellia, aloe and honey). Intense moisture is given to all layers of the skin thanks to copper peptides, hyaluronic acid and antioxidants.
- Redness Neutralizer by SkinCeuticals: A lightweight cream to alleviate skin blotchiness and discomfort.
- The prescription products we use are approved by the Primary Care Dermatology Society
We may also recommend lifestyle tweaks to help avoid triggers that cause flushing like spicy foods, saunas, alcohol and switching to a high factor sun cream. Sensitive makeup may also help and we can give you some pointers.
Book an initial consultation with us if you have rosacea or suspect you’re having rosacea symptoms. We’d love to help you feel confident and glowing again.